Dental Implants for a Healthy and Bright Smile
Dental implants are the best option when it comes to replacing missing teeth. The procedure has been used in its current form since the 1970s, but of course, it has undergone many technological improvements since then. The first records of dental implants date back to the Mayan civilization in 600 A.D. archeologists have discovered skulls which had teeth replaced by various materials such as stone and seashell.
The success of modern implants, lies in the material used, titanium. The material was chosen for dental implants and other bone implant procedures as it is strong, lightweight and biocompatible. The material’s special property is osseointegration, which means that it is accepted by the body and successfully fusions with the bone.
Who is a candidate for Dental Implants?
Any person who has lost a tooth/teeth due to various dental and gum diseases, aging or major trauma, is the perfect candidate for dental implants. However, there are several diseases and conditions which can influence the success of the procedure: uncontrolled diabetes, radiation to the jaws, cancer, uncontrolled periodontal (gum) disease, smoking and alcoholism.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Restore appearance – dental implants cannot be differentiated from the rest of the teeth, as they look and feel exactly like natural teeth. They are also permanent, which means that the patient will not have to regularly come to the dentist to have dental implants checked
- Improve comfort – as dental implants fuse with the bone, they become part of the body, eliminated the discomfort of removable dentures for example
- Improve speech – with removable dentures patients might slur or mumble words as their fear that teeth might slip. With dental implants patients can speak without this worry
- Improve self-esteem – having a bright, perfect smile improves anyone’s self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improve eating – as dental implants function like natural teeth, they can also improve eating without fearing that they might slip
- Durable – with good oral hygiene, dental implants can last forever
- Improve oral health – as dental implants do not require altering other teeth for support, long-term oral health is provided due to the fact that natural teeth are left intact.
Continue reading original post: http://www.placidway.com/article/1159/Dental-Implants-for-a-Healthy-and-Bright-Smile
for more info contact PlacidWay
Phone number: +1.303.500.3821